Monday, May 11, 2015

Comparisons


Triathlons are an individual sport,where you compete not only against other people but also against yourself. It is hard for me to show up to a triathlon and not start looking at other people to see , are they in my age group, do I think I can beat them, and what kind of gear do they have? Of course, I just bought a triathlon bike so I can no longer look on with envy. I have been doing triathlons for about 9 years now. I often do the same triathlons so I can compare my times from year to year. But my competitive side still wants to do well among people in my age group. There are two things I have struggled with through this training process that God is working on. First is, I have struggled comparing myself to others. Comparing training plans, am I doing enough, am I doing too much. The other thing is envy. Envy of what others have, a coach, a nutritionist, able to afford the host hotel. Whatever it is, either comparing or envy, neither one are very becoming.

The Bible says, "Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load." Galatians 6:4-5. I shouldn't be comparing myself to others in any of this. We all come into this with different motivations, different obstacles, different strengths. Not one of us comes into this on the exact same page, so Ironman Texas isn't a race against others. It is a race or better a challenge for myself. A physical and mental challenge. I know this verse talks about "taking pride in himself". It is referring to a pride we can have knowing we are created in God's image and saved through grace. I can't do this apart from God. I am not doing this on my own strength. I wouldn't be able to do this on my own strength, but I go into it with confidence that I am ready.

This has been a good lesson in being content with all I have. I have and am exactly where God wants me to be. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment