Friday, April 3, 2015

Everyone has a Story.

Everyone  has a story that is their own, and why they do what they do. Here is mine. I saw my first Ironman on television back in 1980, on Wide World of Sports. I was 10 years old, and I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things ever but there is no way I would ever be capable of doing something like that. My passion back then was soccer and continued to be that through college. I always watched the Ironman when it was televised and it always brought tears to my eyes because I was so impressed by not only their physical strength but also their mental strength. It always stirred up emotions in me watching it. Not sure I have still watched one without shedding a tear or two.

I grew up a soccer player, it was my passion. I even played soccer in college. As a result I have my share of injuries. In fact, I broke my ankle in college and didn't know about it for 7 years. I have had 8 surgeries. A double hernia, three knee surgeries, two on my left, one on my right, two back surgeries and two C-sections. I have had a lateral release in my left knee and have stage 4 chrondomalacia in my left knee. I have had a herniated disk in my back at the L5-S1 and waited too long for back surgery the first time and have permanent nerve damage in my right leg. I have a hard time getting up on my toes. This makes my running gait a little interesting. My back caused so much pain that I could not walk my dog without having to sit down on the curb until the pain subsided. I lived on the third floor of my apartment complex and couldn't walk up to my apartment without sitting down on each level because the pain was so intense. My last back surgery was 2003. I don't take my health for granted and am grateful I can be physically active.

I had put the thought of triathlon behind me until I started working at TCU, and a group of co-workers suggested training and doing one together. This was in 2004. So about 10 of us during our lunch break or before work would get together and train. I was slow, very slow. My first triathlon I did on my mountain bike and was the last to finish from our group. I may have been last but I had a blast. I continued to do sprint triathlons for the next 8 years. In 2012, I decided to do my first half ironman and trained with Team in Training. I had so much fun I signed up for another 6 months later. I joined the local triathlon club and was now surrounded by people who do Ironmans for fun. I decided to do one because it has been on my bucket list. I chose, Ironman Texas because it makes sense for my family. I have two young kids, a 3 and 5 year old, who I would love to see at the finish line. My husband is a high school teacher and coach so the Fall Ironmans do not work with our schedule. Ironman Texas was the perfect fit. I can't wait to get to the starting line.

Everyone has their reason why they are doing this. I can't wait to join the few people in the world who are called Ironmans. And even though I am doing this it is not what defines me. God is what defines me and that is so much bigger than this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment